Saturday, May 17, 2008

I Stand Amazed

"God isn’t intimidated by my disappointment. It doesn’t make God turn away from me because I wish that things were different sometimes; in fact, it makes Him come nearer."

I read that on another blog this week, and it really hit home for me. I think that God truly enters in a new way when we become open and raw enough to admit that we are disappointed with certain things in life, that we hurt with pain that causes our bodies to shake with sobs, and that we want more from this life. As we stand empty-handed, heart-broken and weeping before God, He becomes magnified and His presence begins to consume us. It is in those moments that I have gained a greater understanding of myself becoming less so that God can become more. His strength is perfected in our weakness.

Perspective matters. Assumptions and judgments are never worthwhile- a lot of hurt can be avoided by asking simple questions. Effective communication goes a long way. Encouragement and support are vital and bring life to everyone. At the end of the day, humans will never be perfect, but God is still God. He is not changed by our imperfections.

Just a few thoughts about how God has been working in my life recently!

5 comments:

Alison said...

Great, great, great post! 1 Samuel is a good book to read about this very thing....Hannah's story.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really needed to read this today! Thanks!

Kristin Sheffield said...

That's is so true. I too recently read Hannah's story in 1 Samuel and it's amazing how God can show up more in those moments because we have come to a place of desperation to see him move.
Great post!

Amy Middleton said...

mmm, that's some good meat there

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, first off how are you!? Haven't talked to you in a long time! I found your site from Alison's blogroll and I just really needed to read this post. I actually had a tear cascade down my cheek. I love that you wrote God isn't intimidated by our disappointments. This is what God has been speaking to me lately.
Thanks for reminder~