Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A little insight into the deficiencies of my fish knowledge...

So while we were in Key Largo, we of course ate at several restaurants and had a wide array of fish options. I, however, did not begin enjoying any type of seafood until I was well into my college years. So, to give myself credit, I do have a limited frame of reference here. Anyway- we are sitting at this restaurant Wednesday night and I order a salad and Lauren orders a Mahi Mahi sandwich. She convinces me that I have to try this (because I've never had it before) and I'm little unsure, but I figure- what the heck. I eat it and enjoy it. Skip to the following evening, where we are at awesome little beachside restaurant:


I open the menu and immediately see the sandwich section, so I begin to peruse. All of a sudden, much to my horror, I see the option of a 'Dolphin' sandwich. I look frantically to Lauren and say- "People really eat dolphin?" To which she calmly responds, "Yes, that's what Mahi is- you ate it last night." Folks- when I tell you I was alarmed, that is an understatement. I practically scream, "You're telling me I ate FLIPPER?" At which point Lauren begins laughing and assures me that Mahi is a dolphin fish, not a porpoise. And to make me feel even better, she assures me that dolphin fish are indeed 'ugly.' So after dinner, we go into the connected store, and we find the facts that allow me to sleep at night.

I did, in fact, eat this:


and not this:



Ahhhh...what a relief. Sweet dreams.

3 comments:

Amy Middleton said...

that is really funny, mostly because i had the same conversation with Ross when we were down there... and I HAVE eaten fish all my life!! hahaha!

Chris said...

My oh my... guess who this is!! I LOVE your blog and will begin reading regularly. I hope all is well!!

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! Even I knew that dolphin is both a fish and porpoise and I don't even eat seafood!